Published On: Fri, Jan 17th, 2020

London Bridge Inquests; Part Nine: the railway bridge brawl; one cop spoils the plan (Sub-part A)

Share This

According to the official story of the 2017 London Bridge terror attack, as established at the Coroner’s Inquests that took place in May and June of 2019, when Khuram Butt, Rachid Redouane and Youssef Zaghba finished their killing spree in Green Dragon Court, they regained Borough High Street and made their way south (roughly, a tenth of a mile, 170-odd yards, or 500-odd feet) to Stoney Street, where they wreaked havoc in and out of a number of eating and drinking establishments. On this route, as they encountered some resistance from three or four policemen (depending on whose testimony is reliable) they caused quite a fracas under the railway bridge that makes a good deal of Borough Market appear to be a subterranean world. It was here that the attackers took their final life, that of the impressively named Ignacio Echeverria Miralles de Imperial, but they also stabbed and severely wounded a number of other innocent bystanders, along with two policemen. Oliver Dowling and girlfriend Marie Bondeville were hurt, along with another, Plamen Raychev “who was stabbed in the back by the steps” ascending up from Green Dragon Court [1/12/16]ǂ.

As far as our FBEL series goes, with the incident as it accounts for the deaths under our belt, what can be identified as phase two of the 2017 London Bridge terror attack (phase one was the approach by the “terrorist’s van” across the bridge) should be considered as having being covered, and the first volume of our work completed. However, we must also, here, look at the attack on Andrew Morrison. Morrison was another victim – the next on the list of bystander casualties – on the route to Stoney Street, and although he wasn’t under the bridge, he was able to provide some extremely valuable information pertaining to the fight that went on there.

What Morrison does is confirm the way we should think of the terror attack as it moved under the railway bridge on Borough High Street. It wasn’t merely a case of victims being stabbed like so much inanimate cheese. It was a fight. And it is thanks to the excellent witness testimony of Police Constable Wayne Marques, of the British Transport Police, that we can deduce that a team of knifemen who weren’t Butt, Redouane and Zaghba participated in this affray. Marques’ information was old school, and although it was still slightly infested with the modern tendency to include emotions and inner thought processes in a recounting of a number of facts, the only place it really fell down on was a failure to report the time on the clock regarding when the incident began (meaning a sense of timing for the things Marques reports has to be drawn from CCTV footage – which can’t be trusted). In any case, where Marques’ testimony was incredibly important was in his giving a description of three attackers who, by these details, could not have been Butt, Redouane and Zaghba. We also learn from Marques’ testimony – on its own, and in contrast to other accounts – that Butt, Redouane and Zaghba were doing other things when Marques confronted these three attackers.

For the purpose of being able to make the necessary distinctions between Butt et al, and Marques’ opponents, we should recap the sanctioned narrative in terms of the clothing worn by the official attackers: Khuram Butt (the only one of the trio who we can be sure was bearded) was wearing an Arsenal football club jersey underneath a long-sleeved red, hooded top. This top is said to have been discarded in the vicinity of Elliott ’ s Café [2/12/20-21] at the northern end of Stoney Street (the three would approach it from the south). So, under the railway bridge, Butt would have had the red top on. He was also wearing three quarter-length camouflage trousers. Rachid Redouane was wearing a navy, red and white striped top, with light blue jeans and white trainers. Youssef Zaghba was wearing a black, zipped, hooded top and black trousers. He also discarded his top at the same time as Butt.

Our analysis of the brawl that took place under the railway bridge in Borough Market begins with the reintroduction of Richard Livett. Livett was supposedly attacked even before Butt et al arrived at the boundaries of Green Dragon Court. As the official narrative goes, Livett was on the spot of the initial van crash – fearing about getting run over (he was that close) – and as he went to investigate the crashed vehicle, despite not seeing anyone disembark from it, he suddenly found himself with an Allahu Akbar-yelling jihadist: nose-to-nose. The terrorist did an odd thing in the author’s book. He wrapped his arm around Livett, and delivered a blow to the man’s back. It’s a detail that has never sat well with the author; why didn’t the assailant just bring the knife up at his front and insert it into Livett’s belly? If Livett was stabbed in the back, it is entirely more likely that he was attacked from behind.

Livett says that after he was stabbed, he slumped to the floor: “whether it was a couple of seconds or 15 – – I felt like I went down for a while”. [6/8/22-24]. However, he was able to get to is feet, and go on a “mission” to find help for himself. Without reference to his friend (his brother-in-law, in fact) who was with him before the van crash, but had disappeared from the narrative afterwards, he walked all the way down Borough High Street, under the railway bridge (without having a “clear recollection” [2/11/18] of what happened to him there), then up Bedale Street (please refer to the map published on this page) where he “finally collapsed outside the Globe pub” [2/12/2-3]. This is his testimony. But we must wonder why, if Livett’s intention was to reach a place that could facilitate much needed medical assistance, why did he not go directly to the Barrow Boy and Banker, which was in a location right on top of where the van crashed? It’s not like he was ignorant of the existence of the place; moments before, he and his friend had been contemplating visiting it.

We will perhaps never know if Livett really did see the van crash (his story where he couldn’t notice anyone getting out of it to attack him is unconvincing), or whether indeed he has been “got at” to say that he did. Be that as it may, the author proposes that he was actually stabbed further south down Borough High Street, and that he has been made to be confused about what precisely happened to him (if he had been drinking, it wouldn’t be hard in the aftermath for an “interrogator” to suggest facts to him).

As he was walking north along Borough High Street, Charles Anthony John Guenigault, an off-duty Metropolitan Policeman, saw Livett collapse in front of the glass-fronted Borough Kitchen Cook Shop. The location can be seen in the CCTV still below (taken from the Post Office building on the opposite side of the road). Guenigault said he saw that Livett was being assisted by another man – possibly, then, Livett’s brother-in-law who had disappeared from Livett’s official story. So, please note, Livett said in his testimony that he collapsed once after he was stabbed, and then he was not aware of collapsing again until he reached the Globe Tavern. The author proposes that here, by the Borough Kitchen Cook Shop, is where he collapsed for the first time. Within a minute, Guenigault was joined by PCs Wayne Marques and Leon Mcleod, who had just started along London Bridge Street from their station to go on a patrol. Marques reports that a member of the public approached him; pointing “up towards London Bridge itself”, this person told Marques that, “They’ve gone up that way, they’ve gone up that way”[9/111/19-20]. And while it is true that the Inquest produced CCTV of Livett walking south into the shot where he is filmed in a collapsed state, it has not produced CCTV showing where he was attacked. Taken at its face value, all of this information suggests that having stabbed Livett in the vicinity of the southern side of the railway bridge, the assailants took off in a northerly direction. Moreover, it was northwards from Livett’s position that Marie Bondeville and Oliver Dowling were attacked – and it happened in the space of 30 seconds after Marques and Mcleod had arrived on the scene.

Dowling and Bondeville had written statements read to the Inquest, and it has to be said that together, they work very well to create an impression that they had been attacked by people coming from the north and from Green Dragon Court. But looking more closely, they do not actually say this at all, and in fact, Bondeville gives a strong indication that she was attacked from the south. Bondeville said that she saw three men coming towards her (direction unreported), one of which was walking like a boxer going towards the ring; he went past her and towards Dowling. The next thing she knew, however, was that she had been hit by someone she didn’t see approaching to do it; hit on the right hand side of her face. She didn’t actually see the attack on Dowling that might have been anticipated. As for Dowling, he said that he saw a number of men close in on himself and Bondeville, but crucially he didn’t see them or anyone else assault his girlfriend because he was struck by his own attacker – again, whom he did not see arriving to do it. Now, if the reader has assumed that the men Dowling saw were the ones that attacked Bondeville, then that might have been a jump to a wrong conclusion.

Dowling said he saw four men in all; two men, white in complexion, he thought were being chased. These were indeed coming from the north, and they passed Dowling and Bondeville by. Two other men, for whom Dowling could give no description, were following; Dowling, only possibly because he didn’t see them pass him by too, would characterise these men as being the chasers. Cleverly, and perhaps Dowling was assisted in creating this impression by whoever helped him produce his statement, we are encouraged to believe that that these “chasing men” from the north were the ones who must have attacked Bondeville. In fact, there is no way of telling if this is true at all. Moreover, if Bondeville had been facing the road, which we could assume to be the case given that she had just exited an alley that ran perpendicular to it (roughly), then her being hit on the right (and therefore, south-facing) side of the body might be the best indicator that at least one aspect of the attack on the two of them did not come from where it was supposed to have.

According to Marques, it was the attack on Bondeville ad Dowling that prompted him to act: he adjudged that lives were in danger. For the purpose of our analysis, let it be noted that the Inquest had CCTV footage interpreted as showing Marques starting to sprint northwards from Livett’s position at the time 22.09.08 [9/121/1]. Also note Marques’ appraisal of an attacker who had started on Bondeville, but while he was watching, had turned his attention to Dowling:

I remember him wearing what I believe was a grey tracksuit and a red top, T- shirt, underneath the tracksuit. I think he was in a hooded tracksuit. It looked like it was a matching set, top and bottoms. I believe he was in trainers as well.


Let the reader be clear. The man that Wayne Marques saw attacking Bondeville and Dowling was wearing a grey tracksuit, top and bottoms, with a red T-shirt underneath. This person was neither Khuram Butt, Rachid Redouane or Youssef Zaghba.

The following is Marques account (with questions asked by one of the QCs who drove the Inquest) of his participation in the battle that took place under the railway bridge in Borough Market, and the moments after it until the official suspects were gunned down by police elsewhere in area – marking the end of the incident. It is taken from columns 120 to 139 in the transcript for Day 9, but for convenience’s sake it is abridged, with repetition or non-factual reflection left out:

First thing I did, once I sort of realised what was happening in front of me, I took my baton out, racked it. That basically means getting it extended ready for use. And I knew I didn’t have long before Oliver was probably going to die in front of me, so I took my baton out and charged the first attacker [ran at him]…

Were you aware what PC McLeod was doing at that moment?

Not at this time. I believed – – at first I thought I heard a baton rack behind me at that time, but I believe he was still tending to the first casualty that we came across on the floor…

Based on the distance, did it take you a very short time to reach the attacker?

Yes. At sprint speed, I probably got there within maybe, 5 seconds, if that.

What was your first move, your first motion?

I saw the first attacker stooped over Oliver, still stabbing him in the neck and head area. I believe he got at least three or four stabs on Mr Oliver before I got there. I couldn’t see any blood coming out until maybe the third one. Once I got within about 3 to 4 metres away from the first attacker, I raised my baton behind me and charged at him. My intention was to hit him as hard as I could with all my weight behind me, with everything I had…

Did you connect?

Yes, I did. I hit him as hard as I could. I aimed straight for the head in a horizontal arched motion. I didn’t get to get as clean a hit on him as I would like to. He looked up at the last minute and sort of instinctively reacted, put both his hands up, but because I had a lot of weight and momentum behind me I still managed to go through his hands and connect with his head. I knew I’d hurt him because he reacted with a pained yelp as I hit him. I got a good hit on him and I sent him at least, confidently, 3, maybe 4 metres. I made him stumble backwards [but not fall over]…

So you made the next move, going for the attacker again… What was your move at this point?

I went with – – my second strike was a similar attempt to the first, with my baton still in my right hand, which is my strongest hand. I struck, I’d say, maybe two times in a horizontal motion. I can’t tell you exactly where I hit the attacker at the time, but I do remember he was — the knife, that was no longer in his hand. He was too busy using his hands to defend himself and he was reacting in pain…

So you were now fighting at very close quarters.

We were in a close quarters’ fight. I had managed to get him pressed up near towards the wall of the bridge [north of the alley that emerges from behind Lobos restaurant]…

In any event, in the area of that alleyway, but against the wall.

Yes. I had knocked him back 3 or 4 metres. He was then against the wall. As I continued to strike him, he then began to crumble. I was just hitting him wherever I could. As he then went down on to one knee, I then changed my attacking position from sideways to then above him coming down, and I probably hit him anywhere between 10 or more times… I don’t know what happened to the knife at this point, but I had him in a crumpled position with him using both his hands and his arms to defend himself…

As you were pressing home your advantage, did something happen from behind?

Yes. After about the tenth strike on the first attacker, I received what at the time felt an almighty blow to the right side of my head. It felt to me at the time that it was metal and I believed – – my initial instinct was that it was a crowbar that had hit me. I’d stumbled a few steps backwards, and the – – my right eye was put out of commission. I couldn’t use it any more… I looked with my left eye towards the direction of where the attack was coming and at this point, I’d seen a knife coming towards me. Through instinctive reaction, I defended myself. I put my baton out using my right hand.

At this point, you’re still on your feet.

I’m still standing, yes… I believe once I’d managed to get a block in, with my left eye, I followed the knife up the arm and got to see the second attacker.

And what did he look like?

He was — he had a beard, another Asian gentleman. He had a dark – – either black or very dark jumper. He was in jeans. I believe they looked like jeans. They also looked like a dark colour. But under the streetlight, I couldn’t really pick up what colour it was exactly, but it was dark clothing…

You had blocked the attacker’s further blow. What then happened between you?

Myself and the second attacker then proceeded to fight. The scuffle went into the road. I couldn’t tell you exactly the full details of the fight. It was chaotic, it was messy, as a fight can be. I just remember swinging. Sometimes I was hitting him, sometimes I wasn’t, and he was doing the same, trying to stab me and slash me with his knife. After a while, I’ve engaged with number 2 and I had the chance of – – the second attacker was the shorter one. I was lucky enough to see the third running down London Bridge.

Pause there a second. [QC makes inquiries into an irrelevance]… You were going to tell us that during this fracas with the second attacker, you were able to see past him to a third attacker.

Yes, I had a chance. Because I still had vision in my left eye, I was able to see over the second attacker’s right shoulder in the mêlée. As I looked up towards the bridge, I saw a figure, a taller figure, running down the middle of the bridge directly towards where I was fighting the second one. My instincts and experience just told me that this third person was with the second. The way he was running towards me, there was no —

How close was he?

It was hard to say, to be honest. I’d lost depth perception a bit by now because I only had one eye, but he was further away, coming down London Bridge. If I had to guess, I would say my first vision of him would have been 20 metres, was the first time I probably see him, at least.

I appreciate this was very fast -moving and you only had sight in one eye. Do you remember anything about that third man descending you on?

I did later on, but at that time, I could see he was a taller figure. He was taller than both the first and the second attacker. I remember also he was in what I believe was a jacket. It didn’t look black. I’d say it was maybe a brown or a dark brown jacket. I can’t remember much else of him. He had a full head of hair, more than the second and first attacker did, but I don’t remember him having a beard, as the first two did.

Did he join the fighting?

Yes. So he then – – once he got close enough within this fight. I had the second shorter attacker towards my right -hand side. The third attacker who now then joined, he was now to my left, and between the two of them — we’re moving around, they’re trying to cut me and stab me and I’m trying to swing out and hit them. The details obviously are very sketchy as to – – I know I managed to hit them a few times and they managed to cut me a few times…

Did something happen during the course of the fight to force you back?…

So I looked down and I saw a knife in the upper part of my left leg. And I was still swinging at attacker number 2 and 3. I looked down and this knife was basically moving up and down, cutting my leg open… and then I realised it was the first attacker had got back up. He must have come round. I couldn’t see him in my peripheral vision. With one eye, I could only focus on what was in front of me, so I didn’t see him coming at me.

How did you then react to defend yourself?

…I took my baton and raised it high up above my shoulder and came down in an arching motion towards the hand of the first attacker, but what he did was quite surprising in what he did, his response to my strike. He pulled the knife out of my leg. So I missed — my counter, I missed him. But rather than backing away then, he instead turned the knife upside down and then swiped upwards… What saved me at the time was that motion went down, my right shoulder went down and made my left shoulder pivot up, and rather than slicing through my forearm, he ended up slicing through my finger instead…

What’s your next memory of the next moment or movements in the fight?

The next clear memory I have was they’d — the three of them had then backed away from me. Whether it was because I was swinging around like a crazy person or … I have no idea. I couldn’t tell you, but they backed away from me. I remember seeing them now on the footpath… I was then standing in the middle of the road, just as the T-junction to London Bridge Street meets Borough High Street…

Did you think they were going to attack again?

The three of them had stood almost shoulder-to-shoulder, and I put in my statement that they looked pretty much like a wolf pack getting ready to come and finish me off…

How far were they from you at this time when you were standing out of the way and they were —

I m now standing in the middle of the road, baton in my hand, left eye, and I could see they were — again, depth perception had gone for me, but my best guess would be about 8 metres, 9 metres.

How long did you stare at them and they stare at you in this way?

I would say the stand- off lasted maybe 10 seconds, 20 seconds….

Did the next attack come?

No, it didn’t.

Where did they go?

I saw the first attacker in the grey tracksuit, he was on the left of the three. He went to the left, his right. That’s what I believe I saw. He went to the left towards Borough Market. I didn’t see him go into Borough Market, but that was the direction I saw him running. I then closed my eye and tried to refocus. At this point, it was getting hard to see. And the other two had gone. I didn’t see them go in the same direction , but I believe they went in the same direction as I saw the first one go.

We’ve seen footage, and we ll see it again before the Inquests finish , which shows you appearing to pull Charlie Guenigault along the pavement. Do you have any recollection of anything like that?


Were you even aware of your colleague, PC McLeod, and Charlie Guenigault, what they were doing around you?


After you saw the attackers start to move on, what’s your next memory?

I tried to – – believe it or not, I actually tried to follow them. I managed to hobble towards where the last position I saw them standing. I managed to get up on to the pavement, but I was losing strength and I was losing balance. So I leaned against the wall with my right arm and tried to look down Borough High Street to see if I could see them, but my vision had almost gone completely blurry by then…  Shortly after that , I saw my colleague, PC Leon McLeod, come into view, but he was literally only 2 metres, 3 metres away before I could actually see who it is. I could see his silhouette and I could see his uniform, but I couldn’t see who he was until he was really close, at this stage…

Did other officers then, over the minutes that followed, approach and come to help you?

Yes. PC McLeod then looked to his right and he looked to be talking to someone, but I couldn’t see who that someone was until they came really close. Everything was just a complete blur at this time, my vision had almost gone. I then saw a tall black gentleman who turned out to be a CID officer from BTP, Alfred Iswa, I believe his name is, and another CID officer , shorter white gentleman with a beard, Jimmy Crearty(?), I believe his name is. They came up to me. I don’t remember exactly, but they told me that I have to speak with them, obviously, and they tried to get me to sit down. PC McLeod then went in the direction of the attackers and Jimmy and Alfred stayed with me….

Do you remember, a short time after that, hearing some bursts of gunfire?

Yes… Once I’d got into a seated position, I then laid down. I’d say I was on the floor maybe 2 minutes before I heard gunfire.

This account by Marques is to be treated as the control sample, for reasons already discussed. As such, we have it on good authority that there was another team of knifemen present under the railway bridge. We can deduce this by a combination of facts, which are i) Marques’ gives descriptions of his opponents that do not support the official narrative, and ii) he forced three attackers to focus on him at the same time that CCTV shows Redouane and Zaghba attacking the victim, Miralles de Imperial (referred to at the Inquest as Ignacio). The CCTV footage in question is as follows: firstly, the footage from the camera mounted on the Post Office building opposite the Borough Kitchen Cook Shop whereby, starting at 22.09.25†, we can “see Zaghba standing over Ignacio, moving his arms towards him, apparently stabbing” [10/7/15-16] and then within a “very few seconds”, “Redouane mak[ing] a further stabbing motion which appears to connect with the left side of Ignacio’s torso.” [10/7/21-23]. Moreover, there is footage from the same camera that follows on from the previous showing:

…the attackers move on while Ignacio lies wounded on the pavement…[and after a moment when a bus obscures the view] Ignacio…  roll on the ground for a few seconds before he then ceases to move and lies still… [meanwhile] the attackers move south while PCs Marques and McLeod were both a little in the road, as they described.


Let’s deal first with the simplest idea stemming from this evidence: the three men who were supposed to have officially committed the London Bridge terror attack could not have been fought by Marques to a standstill, and then fled immediately after, but also at the same time fought Ignacio until they fled. Let’s look at the problem using some timings: the duration of the confrontation between Ignacio and his assailants was said to have been 5 seconds, with “some very brief exchange between them before that” [10/9/16-17] – let’s call it 6 seconds; Ignacio himself got involved in a brawl some time after Marques set off to engage his target (which would be about 22.09.08); at 22.09.25, Ignacio was floored, and Zaghba and Redouane were about to move off without engaging Marques. It means that Ignacio got involved at 22.09.19. Marques said it took him 5 seconds to arrive at his target, which would have been 22.09.13. Note that attackers did not leave Marques to go to be involved in a fight with Ignacio. In fact, Marques drew three attackers while Ignacio was also fighting. This would be impossible if there were only three attackers under the railway bridge. And here is another problem for the official narrative: how was it possible for one of the attackers to receive such a solid beating from Marques, but then be able to run amok up and down Stoney Street?

And let’s briefly reflect on Marques observation about how his opponents acted like they had received “formal training” [9/132/23]; while the Inquest had a story to fall back on about Butt and co having had their efficiency and deadliness bestowed upon them by the “Ummah Fitness Centre in Barking” [9/143/5], Marques was in fact talking about people who were taking part in a complicated, highly coordinated tactical operation that would have been beyond the ken of people at a Barking gym.

We’re going to end this sub-part by quoting Andrew Morrison’s written statement:

At about 10.10 pm… I stopped outside the [London Bridge] train station entrance and stood on the footpath… I heard some people yelling and saw what appeared to be a scuffle… like a brawl, occurring across the road about 40 or 50 metres from me, under a bridge. I recall the lighting under the bridge was very limited at this time. I stood there in awe for a while. At first, it appeared to be a brawl, a fight, with a fair few people. I would say about five or ten civilians appeared to be involved.


I walked out of London Bridge station onto the footpath and I heard yells from the brawl under the bridge, which turned quickly into screams I then looked to my right and I saw what appeared to be a lot more people involved in the scuffle, possibly up to twenty people involved by now.


Although Morrison may be exaggerating the numbers, what he could be describing when he talks about witnessing an increasing number of people involved in the battle under the railway bridge is an arrival of the “terrorist” cavalry, whose deployment became necessary when it appeared that a few police men – and one in particular – were spoiling the smooth progress of the operation, and were able to keep bystander casualties in the area at a minimum (and so lessening the terror), not to mention being able to endanger the safe passage of the patsies, Redouane, Zaghba and Butt, as they moved to their date with destiny (indeed, in sub-part B of this article, we will learn about the experience of Guenigault, who may well have encountered an entirely different set of attackers from the ones). As it turned, Marques was awarded a medal for his actions – of course it was awarded to him for show by the power ultimately responsible for his pain and suffering. But this is not to say that Marques does not deserve a great deal of acknowledgment for his undertaking. At Boro Bistro, the schema for the attack involved at least one killer stationed in the target area, with the three patsies to follow in after a lot of damage had already been caused. Potentially, Marques prevented another Boro Bistro death toll from happening down there under the bridge; it would appear that he effectively took out a (perhaps the) killer stationed there before a lot of murder could be committed. He made the execution of the false flag operation at the bridge all about ensuring its survival.


ǂ Raychev is a mystery. There is little effort to account for him at the Inquests – and perhaps not surprising if that account could tell that he wasn’t attacked where he was supposed to have been. Stabbed near the Green Dragon Court, he is yet seen in footage showing Marques and Mcleod crossing Borough High Street under the railway bridge at the south side.

† The Inquest makes a mistake; the questioning QC misspeaks and says this time is 22.08.25; it should be 22.09.25 – we can work this out by the position of associated footage in a sequence.

It's important to donate to FBEL - please see here to find out why
A PayPal account not required.